Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater, Medium

Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater, MediumI've been keeping reptiles for nearly 20 years and have used a variety of different products, including various brands & sizes of undertank heat pads. In my opinion, the heat pads made by Zoo Med are some of the best (I only say this because there are a few other brands I have not tried personally). In the very least, they blow the ones made by Exo-Terra out of the water.

Before I go on, I want to emphasize that if you use these heat pads on the bottom of any caging, you MUST raise the bottom level of the enclosure to prevent it from pinching the cord of the pad. Most heat pads in general come with little rubber "lifters" to do this for glass tanks, and the instructions also go over this. If you do not follow this step, the pinching WILL cause the heat pad to malfunction, either getting too hot or not at all. In addition to the pinching, excess heat will build up underneath the enclosure, causing the heated area to get dangerously hot as well. And obviously, use a thermostat or rheostat.

I have never had an issue with one of these heat pads not getting hot enough or too hot when using them on a glass tank, and have yet to use a Rheostat with on a glass tank [I wager its because I always lift up the caging to prevent the pinching & overheating issue mentioned in the previous paragraph].

One thing I like about these heat pads is that they are relatively easy to remove and re-position, even on another enclosure if need be. I know the manufacturer advises against this, but if you peel it off slow and carefully, there shouldn't be an issue (especially if you are using correctly in the first place* see second paragraph). I have used the same heat pads for years on multiple enclosures as needed, of course, using a rheostat.

Also, the manufacturer recommends only using these pads on glass tanks. However, I have pushed the envelope and used them on plastic tubs and other non-glass caging. I have never had any major warping or overheating because I use a rheostat. I'm not suggesting anyone attempt this; I'm only saying I have good success using these pads on non-glass caging using the ZooMed rheostat.

I genuinely feel that if one follows the directions well, especially regarding raising the bottom of the enclosure and using a thermostat of some kind (both of which the instructions advise), they will not have issues with this product.

Recap...if you just let the bottom of the cage rest on & pinch the cord of the heat pad, you WILL have problems. If you try using this heat pad to heat an aquatic tank filled with water, you WILL have problems. If you choose not to use a thermostat, definitely check the basking area routinely with a thermometer to make sure the heat pad is staying at the optimal temperature.

Another thing is that for most caging, it is recommended that the heat pad should only occupy 25-30% of the bottom surface area of the enclosure. Remember to use this advice when choosing the right size for your reptile and caging. And if the heat pad is the right size for your cage, but your reptile is too large to warm itself on it, then its time to upgrade the caging!

I have been using this heater for a few years and it works amazing, it keeps my snake happy and when coupled with a rheostat maintains a constant 70F. That's right you need a RHEOSTAT. This, like EVERY OTHER heat pad in the price range, does not have a temperature control. A rheostat is only about $20 and is REQUIRED. If you don't understand this you shouldn't have a reptile as you will just cook it.

The one thing that I really don't like is that it can NOT be removed without destroying it. I recently bought a new tank and thus need to buy a new heat pad.

Highly recommended for the longevity factor, but make sure you research even just a smidgen on how to set up a terrarium or you will kill your animal.

**Side note: In order to save all the spiders out there also, do not use this as a bottom mat if you have spiders. This will need to be mounted on the side of the tank for arachnids as they have a common tendency to hide underground if it starts getting to warm, and you will end up cooking it.

Buy Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater, Medium Now

Ok, when trying to decide which size to order, I had to wonder what was up as it looked to me the large listed as 9.7 x 10.6, and the medium 15.1 x 8.0. This didn't make sense.

So, I ordered the medium ... and as it turns out ... the PACKAGE is 15 x 8, but the pad itself is 11 3/4 inches by 8 inches.

Come on Amazon ... package size tells us nothing!

How about listing the correct pad sizes for us folks trying to buy from you?

And the wattage would also be something useful to know.

This is the RH5 ASIN: B0002AQCL4 rated at 16 watts, suitable for a 30 to 40 gallon tank.

As for rating these pads ...

last one worked for a couple of years ...

although as it heats, it tends to come loose from the bottom.

Adding a little heat resistant tape to the edges seems to help keep it in place.

So I'll give it 4 stars. I'll upgrade that to 5 if/when the specs are corrected. ;)

Read Best Reviews of Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater, Medium Here

This is the perfect size pad for my tanks and my ball pythons love them. It doesn't have an adjustable thermostat but doesn't heat up too hot to where it's burning my snakes. Every time I've order on it has arrived on a timely fashion aswell. Awesome product and Aswesome price compared to the pet store prices!! Can't go wrong!

Want Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater, Medium Discount?

I bought this product and it arrived shortly after order date of Feb.26th. It's May 17th and it's not working!

A reptile heater is suppose to heat under tank. But this lasted less than three months.

Imagine paying the price for this, that lasted less than three months, so as to keep your reptile heated for a full year. Tank heater price X 4 purchases!

And me? I recycled the package a week after purchase thinking this would last as long as the first Zoo Med under tank heater I bought over 8 years ago and that's just starting to lose it's full heating capacity. Which is why I bought this as a back up and eventual replacement.

Now I'm out the money and bound to spend more. But it sure won't be on a Zoo Med undertank heater. The old style was superior. But this one isn't even good enough for the trash.

Save your money!And your reptile from a defective product!

*Edit* Having reviewed this many one star comments concerning the personal experience others have had with this product it reminds me of a defective processor that was installed in factory in my first computer, a Gateway. Turns out, and this after three years of pursuing satisfaction, the company knew they had obtained defective processors but installed them in Gateway PC towers anyway. Ultimately the company VP sent me a new tower in exchange for my defective one.

I'm thinking this is what's happening here with this sellers under tank Zoo Med heaters. They could have purchased seconds, or defective heaters that Zoo Med wouldn't sell directly from their on line site and that is why they're so much cheaper than Zoo Med on line or any local retailers. Rather than toss them in the rubbish Zoo Med made something of a profit chucking them off on the unsuspecting sellers and the sellers thought they got a good deal. Meanwhile they all made some sort of profit and we the retail buyer are screwed!

Pathetic! Zoo Med's reputation should be better than this either way.

Save 51% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment